Friday 12 September 2014

7B ENGLISH - Friday, September 12, 2014

ENGLISH - Students are almost finished their CASI Assessments. This includes reading passages and comprehension questions to identify areas of strength and need.

We also started our Poetry Unit on Friday. Using the ideas of Georgia Heard, we are looking at digging deeper, beyond the average "Soccer is my favourite sport" or "My dog" poems. We are looking at identifying the things that matter.

7B - Where Does Poetry Hide?

-lyrics of songs  -imagination  -emotions  -literature  -heart  -dark  -dreams  -thoughts  -mind  -future
-soul  -past

Students then "mapped their heart" to identify people/things/experiences that truly matter to them.

Lastly, students listened to a poem called Heartsong by Mattie Stepanek. This poem reiterates that ideas and meaning are found in so many places - from the beauty in nature to the love of a family member.

Heartsong by Mattie Stepanek

I have a song, deep in my heart,
and only I can hear it.
If I close my eyes and sit very still
it is so easy to listen to my song
When my eyes are open
and I am so busy and moving and busy,
if I take time and listen very hard,
I can still hear my heartsong.
It makes me feel happy.
Happier than ever.
Happier than everywhere,
and everything and everyone in the world.
Happy like thinking about
Going to Heaven when I die.
My heartsong goes like this-
I love you! I love you!
How happy can you be!
How happy can you make this whole world be!
And sometimes it's other
Tunes and words, too.
But it always sings the same special song.
But do you know what?
All people have a special song
Inside their hearts!
Everyone in the whole world has a special heartsong.
If you believe in magical, musical hearts.
And if you believe you can be happy
Then you, too, will hear your song.

HOMEWORK - Find lyrics to your favourite song. Either print them from the computer or write them out (either is fine) and be prepared to share them with the class on Monday. REMEMBER...your lyrics must be appropriate for school (no bad language, no suggestive comments and no weapons-talk). This is due Monday, September 15, 2014.

Reading - 30 minutes each day.